Where is the place of Worship located? Since we are a young church plant, we meet in the evening at a church that does not have services at that time. Velocity Christian Church, 3300 Church Road, Richmond, VA 23233 has graciously made their facility availablle for our use. Our fellowship meal is in the kitchen area; Worship is in the "Big Room."
What events take place on Sunday? We currently meet on Sunday evenings at 5:00 for a fellowship meal and at 6:00 for Worship. We would love to have you come for both! Our meal is "pot-luck" so bring a dish to share, if you wish.
What comprises the worship service at WCPC? Our worship service is simple, reverent, and focused on Jesus Christ. Worship is a dialogue between God and His people. He speaks to us by His Word and we respond in kind. We hear the Word, sing the Word, pray according to the Word. We even “see” the Word in the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper. The preaching is systematic exposition of Scripture, usually working through whole books of the Bible. The passage is explained, illustrated, and applied to the hearers. The singing is congregational and consists of psalms and hymns. Musical accompaniment, if present, is to assist the congregation in exalting the name of our great God and Savior.
What does West Creek value and emphasize as a congregation? The values and emphasis of West Creek can be drawn from the church’s experience of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost described in Acts 2:42-47.
“And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.” (English Standard Version)
We value the means whereby Christ and the benefits of the New Covenant are communicated to His people. These means of grace include the Word, Sacraments, and Prayer. We believe the way people receive faith from God is by the Holy Spirit with the Word and by that same Word, along with the Sacraments and Prayer, He grows and matures our faith. We value the outworking of that faith as evidenced by our love for the members of the church, in caring for their needs and enjoying fellowship together in one another’s homes. And we value the wonderful work of God as He adds to the church through the evangelistic efforts of His people and the preaching of His Word.
I am unfamiliar with the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. Could you tell me more? The OPC Web site has a great explaination of what it means to be part of the denomination.
What is involved in becoming a member of WCPC? To become a member of West Creek Presbyterian Church, you do not need to have a picture-perfect life or agree with us about every point of doctrine. We only ask you to profess genuine faith in Christ by affirming these five membership questions—first in front of our elders in a private meeting, then in front of God and his people during a worship service:
- Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?
- Do you believe in one living and true God, in whom eternally there are three distinct persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit—who are the same in being and equal in power and glory, and that Jesus Christ is God the Son come in the flesh?
- Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, that you repent of your sin, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?
- Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord and do you promise that, in reliance on the grace of God, you will serve him with all that is in you, forsake the world, resist the devil, put to death your sinful deeds and desires, and lead a godly life?
- Do you promise to participate faithfully in this church’s worship and service, to submit in the Lord to its government, and to heed its discipline, even in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life?
If you have not yet been baptized, that too will be part of your joining the church. If you have additional questions, or would like to pursue membership, please speak with one of our elders.